What is Vistaril?
Vistaril (hydroxyzine) reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of itching, or hives on the skin.
Vistaril is used as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension. It is also used together with other medications given during and after general anesthesia.
Vistaril is also used to treat allergic skin reactions such as hives or contact dermatitis.
You should not use Vistaril if you are pregnant, especially during the first or second trimester.
Vistaril can cause a serious heart problem, especially if you use certain medicines at the same time. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any you start or stop using.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Stop using Vistaril and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as tremors, confusion, seizures, or restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of Vistaril.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use Vistaril if you are allergic to hydroxyzine, or if:
- you have long QT syndrome;
- you are allergic to cetirizine (Zyrtec) or levocetirizine (Xyzal); or
- you are in the first trimester of pregnancy.
You should not use Vistaril if you are pregnant, especially during the first or second trimester. Hydroxyzine could harm the unborn baby or cause birth defects. Use effective birth control to prevent pregnancy while you are using this medicine.
To make sure Vistaril is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines);
- bladder obstruction or other urination problems;
- heart disease, slow heartbeats;
- personal or family history of long QT syndrome;
- an electrolyte imbalance (such as high or low levels of potassium in your blood);
- if you have recently had a heart attack.
It is not known whether hydroxyzine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
Do not give Vistaril to a child without medical advice.